The Luke Air Force Base Airman and Family Readiness Center will host its Annual Job Fair 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 1 at Club 56 on Luke Air Force Base.
The event is open to all Luke AFB personnel, their families and other personnel with a military or DoD Civilian ID card for base access. The center won’t promise you that you will find the perfect job, but they will promise you the opportunity to find a job.
An average of 70 employers can be expected to attend the job fair. A complete listing of the employers who will be present is still being developed. When the employers’ information is finalized it will be publicized.
In the meantime, you can get yourself prepared to have a successful job fair job search by doing the following;
– Look sharp. Dress for the fair in the same manner you would dress for an interview. Pay attention to details such as shined shoes, minimal jewelry, belts and handbags in good repair.
– Have your 30-second “commercial” ready. You are the “product” you’re trying to sell to the employer.
Your commercial highlights and summarizes your experience, strengths, and accomplishments.
– Bring plenty of copies of your resume with you. Have a list of your professional references as well.
– Bring several pens with you. You may be asked to complete a job application as well as turn in a copy of your resume.
Complete any application completely; don’t leave blank spaces. If the question doesn’t apply, write in N/A or not applicable.
– Listen to the employer’s representative and watch their nonverbal communication. Listen for what the representative is really asking, not just the surface question and respond appropriately.
Lori Norris, a professional resume writer, will provide free resume critique service at the job fair.
Some people get hired on-the-spot at job fairs. We want you to be prepared for that opportunity. If you have questions you can call the center at 623-856-6550.
Remember, the center cannot promise you the perfect job, but there will be plenty of opportunities to find a job.